What can an MP do?

What can Julian help with?

MPs can help with matters for which central government is directly responsible. This includes:

Issues with local authority services, such as waste collection, road maintenance, planning, and school and housing allocation are managed by your local council and should be raised with your local Councillors in the first instance. However, I am always happy to write to the Council and ask them to look into a situation or reconsider a particular issue.

North Yorkshire is a two-tier county council. This means that it provides important local services across the whole county and works with 'second-tier' district councils who provide different but complementary services in different parts of the country.

The County Council manages services including schools, social services, strategic planning matters, highways, refuse and waste disposal sites, museums and libraries. 

Contact details for North Yorkshire County Council can be found here: http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/25905/General-enquiries

The District Councils manage services including town planning, environmental health, housing, benefits, council tax collection, refuse collection and leisure facilities.

Contact details for Craven District Council can be found here: http://www.cravendc.gov.uk/article/1165/Contact-Us.

Contact details for Harrogate Borough Council can be found here: https://www.harrogate.gov.uk/contactus.

There are also parish and town councils. They are the most local level of government. They are independent but work closely with both Government and district councils.

As your MP I can ask that your views are taken into account in planning decisions, but I cannot instruct or influence councillors making the decisions, as this is a council matter.

MPs are unable to intervene in private disputes with neighbours or employers, nor help to settle family arguments. They also cannot interfere with decisions made in court or offer legal advice.

Julian will represent all his constituents by raising their concerns with the relevant agency or government department. Members of Parliament are elected to the House of Commons to represent the interests and concerns of all the people who live in their constituency, whether they voted for them at the General Election or not.