Julian has welcomed the Chancellor’s announcement in the Autumn Statement that he will take further steps to create a ‘Northern Powerhouse’ and bring jobs and growth to the constituency.
George Osborne has set out measures to:
• Transform rail travel
• Introduce new trains and cut overcrowding for commuters
• Invest £6bn in improving roads in the north
• Invest in science and innovation
• Create even wider access to superfast broadband
• Create a sovereign wealth fund to invest the receipts from shale gas
• Invest in the region’s thriving cultural life
In the Autumn Statement, new forecasts also confirm the Government’s long-term economic plan is working with the deficit halved this year and the British economy expected to grow by 3 per cent this year.
“The Autumn Statement is excellent news for families and businesses across Skipton and Ripon. Fundamental reforms to stamp duty will cut taxes for those trying to buy a house and the personal allowance rise and change to ISA rules back those who want to work hard and save.
“The focus on growing the economy of the North of England is particularly welcome with investment in transport and infrastructure allowing us to compete with the rest of the UK. Ultimately this will mean more jobs and a more secure future for households and companies.”